Pages

Monday, May 3, 2010

Resplendence

We are traveling by a bus. I'm sitting on a window-seat; dad is seated two rows ahead. I don't know why we are travelling. I do not ask dad either. I'm looking out the window.

The rift in the cloud is slowly growing wider, making way for the sun rays to reach us. I see only hills by the roadside; trees with green, yellow, saffron and red leaves on the hills. What a splendour! It has just stopped raining this evening here; I feel the moisture in the air. I put my head out of the window to feel the cool breeze and the mild sunlight caress my face. It's sheer joy! Can I ask the driver to pull over so I could savour the surroundings in entirety?

Then, someone rings the doorbell and I wake up from my afternoon slumber. Oh man, it was such a nice dream. The rankle-r is a guy from the bank. He came for ID verification to issue a Titanium credit card. Why today? Couldn't he have come at least after a while??

Even about ten days ago this bank spoilt my perfect evening (of staying-home
+ playing-music + watching-the-rains + and-sipping-coffee) when the bank representative came down to our place for signatures. I don't know how the frequencies of my idea of a good time and their timing of contacting me synchronise!

*****

The Credit Card Saga

The frequency of phone calls from this bank increased since three months informing me of the Titanium card I can avail. They called from different branches; so I could not identify the numbers to ignore the calls. I had been politely declining their offer till the manager, who had helped me with my account, called up. He had taught me, the new kid on the block, the fundamentals of banking. Upon learning that I was about to embark on my first job, he had advised me about investment too. Then I heard myself say "OK, Sir".

Then the application and verification process started. I informed them that I quit my job, and I'm currently unemployed. One person from the bank updated my employment status to 'self-employed'!!

I have received five verification phone calls asking the same questions - Date of birth ? Own house/rented? Do you own a vehicle? Job title? (to which my answer has been "I do not work with XYZ anymore. I will not work anywhere else for some more time since I have not been relieved yet".) And, they are happy that I'm still XYZ's employee on paper and say they'll process the application quickly. (before I'm officially unemployed? ;)  )

Next time I get a call from this bank, when they start the conversation with "you had applied for a credit card..." I'll say "I did not apply. You were hell bent on giving me one!". To the job title question my answer will be " Whatever they have in No Man's Land!"

*****

Current Song

Secrets in Mirrors by Spitalfield


Lets take our time
We'll make it worth the while
(How long? How long?)
Speed up and then slow down
but never out of style...

2 comments:

  1. Good one yet gain Sri :)
    And, you missed out this volunteer's call from the bank ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...