Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

I prefer it natural

While teaching us the importance of utilizing the space on the constellation diagram to represent digitally modulated signals, my professor gave us an example today of Japanese farmers growing cuboid watermelon to save storage space .

Out of curiosity, I googled for square watermelons and found this article on BBC news - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/1390088.stm
I'm just thinking - advances in biological sciences has made it possible to force changes in the behaviour of plants and animals. Cows are injected with genetically engineered hormones to increase milk production. Cattle are injected with hormones to make them grow faster. Biotechnology can make the plants bear more fruits and vegetables than they naturally can.

I understand that science and technology has helped a great deal to prevent diseases; understand the nature better enabling us to act based on the observations. But, isn't there a limit up to which we can use technology? Why can't we let nature have it's say at the end?

When I was younger, I used to accompany my Grandma to our farm. She would pull out groundnut plants and I'd joyfully break the shells and munch the nuts. I would wander through the fields and pluck mulberry fruits. It's been ages since I had the mulberry fruits, still, the taste lingers. As a kid the greatest achievement was to pull out a sugarcane stalk remove its sheath with my teeth. Chewing the cane, I thoroughly relished the sweet juice.

These days, fruits only "look" tempting. I seldom get to savour a taste. Biotechnology, you have succeeded in producing large quantities, but taste? Nope.


*****
Current Status:
Refreshed, feeling the bright warm Sun after so long.

**
Then Status:
A few days ago, I wanted to scream at the person concerned : "Tumhare jaise dost ho to dushman ki kya zaroorat??" (What's the necessity of an enemy when I have a friend like you?)

***
Current Song:
Selling the Drama by Live

"And to love: a god
And to fear: a flame..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...