Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

Lets take away Religion out of Science

A few days before I left for Boston, I visited the Visveshwaraya Industrial and Technological Museum at Bangalore with my friends. There was this show - Tara Mandal running. Since all of us shared a common interest in Astronomy, we decided to go watch it.

So it was supposed to be a small lecture on celestial bodies inside the dome-shaped dark tent with the image of the night sky projected on the inside of the tent. Lambda Orionis was missing from my favourite constellation Orion.

The speaker started with some lines in Sanskrit which went over my head. As if he were contesting in a number-of-words-per-minute competition, he rattled off  quick facts. Most of the talk was in Sanskrit. The Sanskrit-illiterates like us managed to catch some English words.

He started to talk about rashis which again missed my ears. A kid among the audience screamed "What's your Rashee" referring to the Bollywood movie. Appreciation poured in from all corners as if a new planet was just discovered in our solar system.

Then there was a question to the audience. We were asked what was special about some constellation ( I can't remember its name) There were many voices with the "right" answer. Apparently it was Amitabh Bachchan's rashi! Vow, dear constellation, you are famous! Oh another constellation was "Jaya Lalitha's".

What Dad had taught me about Astronomy when I was in the fourth grade was a zillion times more informative than this dumb show, I thought.

*****
If you like your house, you will like everything around you - My friend

**
Somebody: What is the cure of love at first sight? 
Socrates: Take a closer second look. It helps a lot.
  :D :D

*****
Let’s start at the very beginning,
a very nice place to start,
when you sing, you begin with A, B, C,
when you simulate, you begin with the topology,...

- Introduction to ns (Network Simulator) in the manual

***
Current Song:
These Dreams by Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...