Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

Irony of a Communications Engineer

"Why don't I ever find you online?" is a very common question I'm often asked. "Perhaps, both of us not hooked on to the Internet at the same time... aahh.. you know... "(then somehow change the topic :D ) is the same answer I have to everyone that asks me the popular question.

So, why can't you find me on chat lists?
*

My first encounter with the World Wide Web was when I had to apply to an Engineering college in India about five six years ago. I did not even know what an e-mail was, then. Thankfully, that University did not require the candidates to have an e-mail ID unlike the admission processes now.

My second online activity, filling out the application being the first, was taking the entrance test to the same college. Incidentally, that was the first time the University was conducting their online entrance test. It's a different story that I did not go to that University to study.

That it was possible to chat online with someone sitting at some corner of the world never succeeded in securing even a glimpse from me. Some people I knew (not too well :-/ ) used to chat online with some random people they never even met in person. I had found it really absurd. I always thought it was such an utter waste of time and energy. I've never seen such a facility on Web that lets you meet random people online and chat with them. I don't think I'll ever bother to see how the application works.

Later I joined BMSIT, Bangalore, to pursue BE with concentration in ECE. Here, I used a computer mainly to work on tools necessary for my courses. I was still Internet-ignorant. E-mail became a hot topic among peers. Some would look at me as if I were an ancient creature since I did not have an e-mail ID.

My very-comfortable-with-the-Web friends helped me create an account on Yahoo. I had just watched the movie Lakshya, then. I had liked the movie so much that part of my e-mail ID was "lakshya"! Guess that was in our fifth semester.

It was only when we got an Internet connection at home in early 2009 that I got a google account. I created one just to leave comments on my friend's blog, which was not possible otherwise back then. My first experience of chat was rather embarrassing; I did not know how to initiate a chat! I called up one of the members of GoG (Gang of Girls - our group of friends in college was called that) and said "ok, I logged in to Gmail. How does this chat thing work??. When I click on a name that appears in list, it goes to compose mail..." Then was was "online-educated".

Now, I'm never "visible" on chat lists on either gmail or facebook, the platforms on which most of my friends "live" most part of their time. I occasionally ping my best friends and have a chat with them when it's not possible to talk over phone.

I'd any day prefer to call up to talk to friends and family instead of catching up with them online.


PostScript:

Being a student of Communications Engineering, I seem to be good at the complex Physical Layer, the exciting Data Link Layer, the cool Network Layer and the Transport Layer. Somehow, most of the "popular" web applications  do not seem to impress me.

My cousin is the only one with whom I've chatted on Facebook. That was the first and the last.
 ***
 Read this saying somewhere - "If you have to ask if you belong in a group, you probably don't"

*****
Current Song:
White Flag by Dido

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...