Pages

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The story so far

(I wrote this a couple of months ago)

Whenever someone says “Vow, you work with XYZ! That’s great! So, all set”, I feel like screaming “you do not have a clue what I’m going through. I hate this job. In fact, I do not want to work already. I want to study. What have I put myself into? :( ” Only I am responsible for my current state. I was not compelled to start off with the job. Don’t know what I am holding onto here.


I do not want to write code for banking applications. I really do not care what the web page looks like to the customer. I’m not interested in writing queries to find out who has salary more/less than a certain amount. I’m sick of hearing the words ‘business requirements’ every day. If someone utters these words once more, I will scream. The company’s numerous policies are grating. I do not understand any of those; whenever I get a mail related to a policy, I just hit ‘delete’ key.


You may find this absurd – I still do not know the last three digits of the salary figure. There is no pull to find out either. I have not even seen a salary slip yet. There is no sense of earning at all in me. I felt no different when I got to know that my bank account was credited with the first salary. Well, I have not really been working. I’m undergoing training and the salary is more like a stipend.


My relatives say “Oh, you have LCD in your room! And huge food courts with so many varieties of food; heard the non-veg food is great… super cool recreational facilities... Must be like heaven!” I wanted to reply saying “yeah, right. I spend most of the time in the GEC (training building). I go back to room only to catch few hours of sleep. Screw the LCD. The AC room is suffocating. Coming to food, the vendors do not even know the difference between bisi-bele bath, vagi-bath and pulav; and I’m a veggie”. Food deserves a separate post.

But then, I just let them assume that things are going great for me. Better to be envied than pitied you see :)


The bank guys are eager to update me with their new schemes in investment. I cannot comprehend their language. They frequently call on to let me know of the different kinds of credit cards I’m entitled to ‘based on my position in the company’. Why don’t they understand that working with an MNC does not mean I get the CEO’s salary?

Looks like the world around me thinks I’m in sync with it, which is incorrect.


Guess, after college I was still not grown up to be decisive. I always knew that I wanted to study further. But, was not certain of the subjects I wanted to study. I needed some time on this matter. In the meantime, I naively joined XYZ because I had an offer; and I landed myself in the place I never liked.


When you are still in the sixth semester of engineering, you just want a job offer because everyone in your class will have one, or two. The placement cell is happy to see the bulletin board that proudly displays the details of offers made by the so-called big organizations. Nobody bothers to find out your aptitude and guide you. Well, it’s your own job to find and do what you like…


Speaking about my workplace, it is a venerated organization. They have the best people in their Education and Research department. The standards set by this firm in the IT industry are exceptional. The quality they maintain is paramount.
They earnestly strive to conserve natural resources. They allocate a good proportion of capital toward ergonomics. All their campuses are beautiful. The Mysore campus is a paradise.

But, I do not belong here.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Status: I’m on ‘quit XYZ movement’ since a while now. And I’m all set to study further; on scholarship! :)
Yippee :)
PostScript: I still do not know the last three digits of the salary figure, neither have I seen a salary slip yet. :P :D

2 comments:

  1. Well expressed :)
    Actually a good testimonial to your XYZ:P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, never thought of the post as a testimonial to XYZ! lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...